Accessible Parking General
Annual UW Disabled Parking Permit
  • All faculty, staff, and students are required to pay for parking on campus.
  • UW employees with a disabled permit from the DOT may purchase a University disabled permit (UW DIS) which allows parking in unreserved permit stalls, unreserved meters or designated disabled stalls anywhere on campus. These are not valid for special events.
  • Faculty/staff and students can apply by contacting their Unit Transportation Coordinator (UTC) to be entered into the permit application system (PAS). A list of UATCs is available HERE. Once you are in the PAS system you can apply for disabled parking by completing the online application.
  • Individuals parked in DOT DIS or UW DIS stalls must display a valid disabled permit. UW DIS hangtag (permit) and State-issued DIS parking permit must BOTH be displayed from rearview mirror when parked on campus.
  • For restrictions click HERE.
  • University disabled permit (UW DIS) allows parking in unreserved permit stalls, unreserved meters or designated disabled stalls anywhere on campus
Temporary UW Disabled Parking Permit

A temporary UW DIS may be purchased at any Transportation office with a University ID and written notification from a doctor. The temporary UW DIS permit is valid for a maximum period of one month and will not be extended without a State DOT permit. A Temporary Disabled parking application may be printed HERE.

Visitor Disabled Parking

The State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) disabled permits or DIS and VET DIS plates may park in the disabled stalls (unless signs indicate UW Disabled permits are required) and meters (30 minutes or greater) without paying an additional fee. See the Wisconsin DOT website for more information on DOT disabled permits.

Current vacant visitor stalls in UW parking ramps and garages with gates are updated in real time and mapped. The inventory does not indicate specifically if DOT stalls are available in the lots, only visitor parking in general. Click HERE to view the real-time visitor occupancy.

Disabled Moped Parking

Disabled moped permits are available in much the same manner as UW disabled permits are available for cars. Refer to the Disabled Permit Policy for restrictions. One month temporary permits are available for a fee with a letter from physician. Annual permits are available with DOT permit and by paying the annual moped permit fee. Permits are valid in moped stalls only in any moped lot on campus. A disabled moped permit may be requested at any TS office.

Accessible Fixed Route Transit (Buses)
Campus Area Paratransit Service

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 requires public transit agencies to provide paratransit service to persons with disabilities who cannot access the public transit system due to their disability. Paratransit service complements the same area and hours of the city bus system. Riders must fill out an application and be a registered paratransit rider to use this service.

While paratransit service is available throughout the area using your employee or student bus pass, there is a dedicated paratransit vehicle that serves campus.

Accessible Routes
  • Accessible pedestrian routes
  • Internal passageways
  • Accessibility Details for Buildings. See the Interactive Campus Map. Click on the outline of the building you are interested in, then on Accessibility Details in the pop up box.
  • Those with vision impairments or who otherwise are not able to utilize these maps may wish to contact the McBurney Disability Resource Center (students) or the Office for Equity and Diversity (employees) for assistance. Contact information below.
Other Accessibility Resources
Can I talk to someone about my options?

Transportation Services is happy to talk with you about your transportation options or to refer you to an expert with regards to your particular concerns. Email the Commuter Solutions Team or call (608) 890-4542. You can also fill out an information request form.