UW Transportation Services provides the University Bicycle Resource Center for those who are interested in performing tune-ups to their own bicycles. The University Bicycle Resource Center is staffed by Commuter Solutions student employees who work to encourage the use of alternative forms of transportation, particularly bicycling, walking, and transit.
What the University Bicycle Resource Center offers:
- Free use of tools, air pump and grease, lube and other supplies as available
- Bicycle Air & Repair Stations map
- Bicycle repair manuals
- Bicycle maps
- Bicycle registration assistance
- Alternative transportation expertise of our student employees
- Monthly bicycling events including rides, classes, movies and more. Check this space for details as they become available.
The UBRC open hours for Spring Semester, 2015 (beginning Tuesday, January 20, 2015):
- Monday: 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Friday: 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- The UBRC will be closed from December 18, 2014 through January 20, 2015.
All events are free and are held at the University Bicycle Resource Center in the basement garage of H.C. White Library at 600 N Park Street (unless otherwise noted). There is no registration required. Classes are first come, first served (limit 20 people per event).
- Wednesday, February 25, 2015, Noon - 1:00 p.m..
Traffic Skills 101
Free class taught by UW Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator Chuck Strawser. Learn the basics of vehicular cycling and keep yourself safe and comfortable while riding in traffic. Free Planet Bike blinky light set to the first 5 attendees. Bring a brown bag lunch!
- Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m..
Free class taught by We Are All Mechanics. Keep your bike running smoothly throughout the year. During the hands-on portion, you will learn and practice best techniques for cleaning and lubricating your chain. Bring your bike, if you’d like, or look on with another student. Free Planet Bike blinky light set to the first 5 attendees.
- Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m..
Shifting and Derailleurs
Free class taught by We Are All Mechanics. Learn the basics about how your bicycles gears work and how to keep them shifting smoothly. Bring your bike, if you’d like, or look on with another student. Free Planet Bike blinky light set to the first 5 attendees.
- Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Introduction to Truing a Wheel
Free class taught by We Are All Mechanics. Learn the basics about how to true a wheel and why it is important. Bring your bike or front wheel, if you’d like, or look on with another student. Free Planet Bike blinky light set to the first 5 attendees.
The University Bicycle Resource Center is located in the basement of Helen C White Library (in the northeast corner of the ground level of the parking garage) (maps)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact UW Commuter Solutions at 608-263-2969 or at email@example.com