The process for obtaining an employee bus pass has changed for the 2013-14 academic year. Passes are available to order online and will be mailed to you. The cost for a pass is $24 for UW employees. UW Health/Hospital employees will have the full cost of their bus pass paid for by UW Health.
1. Activate your NetID (requires a campus/Wiscard ID). See below for instructions on how to get a NetID.
2. Click HERE for information and instructions on ordering your 2013-14 Bus Pass
Employees of UW Foundation, WARF/WICell, Morgridge Institute for Research, Alumni Association, WI Crop Improvement Association and the WI Historical Society will continue to acquire their bus passes directly through their employer and these changes do not apply to those employees. UW-Madison students will contiue to receive a bus pass from ASM and these changes do not apply to students.
- Payment options for purchasing an employee bus pass include pre-tax payroll deduction, credit card or cash.
- Student bus passes are funded through ASM via segregated student fees and distributed through ASM. For UW Student Bus Pass information, see ASM's Bus Pass page.
- Transportation Services will also offer over-the-counter sales at all offices beginning August 26, 2013. You must present a WisCard or UW Health/Hospital ID. 2012-13 Employee bus passes (valid through August 31, 2013) may still be obtained at any Transportation Services office locations during normal business hours.
- Students (including Graduate Assistants) must redeem their passes from ASM.
- Employees of affiliate organizations must redeem their passes from their respective organizations.
- For further details, see our Eligibility section below.
- Get your Campus ID number
- You can get your Campus ID number by acquiring a Wiscard. A Wiscard is free and is available at Union South. For more information Visit the Wiscard website.
- Those who work in the health sciences can obtain their Campus ID by sending an email to the Health Sciences Parking email with the subject line “Need Campus ID.” The number will be emailed to you.
- Activate your NetID
- Visit the My NetID website. You will need your Campus ID number (see step #1) to complete this step.
- Record your NetID Information
- Be sure to keep a record of your NetID log in and password as you will need it to order your bus pass.
To use the UW employee bus pass, you must have both the bus pass and your UW ID or UW Hospital ID with you when you board the bus. The UW/UW Hospital bus pass must be swiped when boarding the bus. Information about swiping your card is available at Metro's website. The bus pass is for your use only. Only the person assigned the bus pass may use it. Your pass is subject to confiscation if misused.
Employee bus passes provided by Transportation Services are available to employees paid by the UW-Madison or UW-Extension on the Madison campus with the exception of student employees, who are not eligible for an employee pass. In addition, UW-Madison emeriti are eligible. You must have an active appointment listed in the UW HR system. Emeriti must have their designation finalized.
Notable groups who are NOT eligible are student employees, Extension emeriti, UW Medical Foundation, some professional students, and retired persons who do not have emeritus status.
Students who pay segregated fees may be eligible for a pass through ASM.
UW Health and other affiliate organizations establish their own eligibility.
To pick up your pass and to use your pass, you will need to have a valid UW WisCard or UW Hospital ID. If you do not have a UW ID you can get one at the Wiscard Office. To order online you will need a UW NetID.
Students, faculty, and staff who need a new or replacement ID card must go to the Wiscard office at Union South and present some form of personal photo identification such as a driver's license, passport, or state ID. In addition, the Wiscard Office can make a Faculty/Staff ID card ONLY after the employee's department has entered the appointment information and the proper authorization has been established in the database. Generally it takes one evening for this information to get updated in the Wiscard Search program. For more information on obtaining a Wiscard, please call 262-3258.
In the event a pass is lost or stolen, customers may purchase a replacement bus pass for $20 by visiting one of our customer service locations. Cash, check and credit card are accepted. Replaced bus passes are no longer valid and are deactivated. Replacement bus passes are not available for purchase online. Be sure to bring a photo ID. If your bus pass is stolen, please bring a copy of the police report for our records. Defective bus passes or bus passes that no longer function properly due to normal wear and tear will be replaced free of charge. Find the complete policy HERE.
Bus pass use and replacement activity is monitored for fraud. Bus pass privileges will be revoked for customers found in violation of the bus pass POLICY.
UW Foundation, UW Medical Foundation, WARF/WICell, Alumni Association, WI Crop Improvement Association, and the WI Historical Society employees are not eligible for UW Employee Bus Passes through Transportation Services, but can get a bus pass directly from their employer.