Madison Metro Transit reduced service levels at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and will continue operating at reduced capacity into 2022. Routes familiar to many in the campus community may not be the same as they were before March 2020.
Be sure to review Metro’s current route information and preview your trip before any planned bus travel. Check the Metro website (cityofmadison.com/metro) for the most up-to-date details on riding expectations (i.e., mask requirement), detours, and other route information.
Madison Metro has a very limited ability to make route changes due to budget constraints and staffing shortages. However, certain service updates will start August 22, 2021, which will improve some service to and from the UW campus and UW Hospital. View Metro’s August Service Update announcement
See the information below for changes (or absence of changes) to popular Metro routes to/from campus. Check the Metro Transit website for specific details.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
No longer serves Tokay-Speedway-Regent area; Route 6 covers similar service area.
Route continues to run approximately every 30 minutes.
Route 14 is no longer in service.
Route 15 runs in much of the same area as Route 14 did, arriving at approximately the same time. Individuals may need to walk ~5 minutes farther to a bus stop.
A connection route to Metro’s East Transfer Point. Hours of service expanded earlier in the morning by three (3) hours. No other major changes.
Earliest service time moved ahead 15 minutes; other times remain the same. No major changes.
Full list of discontinued routes
The following is a list of discontinued routes, either suspended following the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic or as of August 22, 2021:
- Route 1: Capitol Square – UW
- Route 3: WTP-ETP
- Route 10: Schenk / Atwood – UW Campus [suspended Aug. 22, 2021]
- Route 14: Richmond Hill – Wexford Ridge / Junction Ridge
- Route 19: Red Arrow Trail – Capitol Square
- Route 25: American Center Commuter
- Route 27: NTP – UW Campus Commuter [suspended Aug. 22, 2021]
- Route 29: Sherman Commuter
- Route 34: ETP-MATC
- Route 35: Richmond Hills/Acewood – ETP
- Route 37: Pflaum Rd – Sheboygan Ave Commuter
- Route 47: Arbor Hill Commuter
- Route 56: Pilgrim-Reetz Commuter & Muir Field Commuter
- Route 57: Pilgrim-Reetz Commuter & Muir Field Commuter
- Route 58: Greentree Commuter
- Route 71: Middleton – Capitol Square via Marshall Park Commuter
Feedback for Madison Metro
Madison Metro is asking for feedback about service levels, especially in preparation for the Metro Transit Network Redesign. Questions and comments about Metro service can be directed to Metro Transit using their feedback form or by email at email@example.com.
Custom Route Planning
Want help finding the best transit route between your home and on-campus workplace? Submit a custom route planning request form and a Commuter Solutions team member will personalize a commuting plan for you.