A motorcycle permit is required to use motorcycle parking areas. Motorcycle permits are available for purchase through our eBusiness portal. For motorcycle stalls by lot, see our lot stall information page.

Please see the Motorcycle Permit Policy for complete information on motorcycle parking on campus.


Any moped on campus must park in a designated moped parking stall with a moped permit, in a mobile pay stall with payment and within posted time constraints, or in a vehicle stall with a valid temporary permit displayed. Parking anywhere but within an appropriate stall as listed will result in a citation.

Moped parking permits are available for purchase online.

The online permit sales are restricted based upon University Residence Halls contract. Residence Hall contract holders will be restricted to select moped lots adjacent to their address of record. Non-residence hall occupants will not be able to select moped lots adjacent to Residence Halls. University Apartments (Eagle Heights) contract holders are not included in this restriction.

The following information will be needed to purchase a Moped permit:

  • Your moped license plate number and issuing State
  • Moped Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Moped Make/Model/Year
  • Shipping address
  • A valid MasterCard or Visa credit card

The 2016-17 Moped Parking Permits (valid September 1, 2016 through August 31, 2017) are available for purchase through our eBusiness portal. Purchased permits will be available for pick up at the Transportation Services office location at 21 N. Park Street after 11:00 a.m. the following business day.

Additional information regarding mopeds on campus:

UW Moped Safety Video

To clarify, do you drive a moped or a motorcycle?

A moped, sometimes called a motor scooter, is a motor vehicle capable of speeds not greater than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind. The power source must be an integral part of the vehicle and there should be a seat for the operator. A vehicle's engine must meet the following standards, based on its features, to be considered a moped.

If the vehicle has an automatic transmission, the engine must be certified by the manufacturer at 50 cubic centimeters or less or an equivalent power unit. This applies to most newer models bought in the United States. If you have a question regarding whether your vehicle is a moped or motorcycle, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles.

If the vehicle is equipped with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, the engine must be certified by the manufacturer at not more than 130 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.

Any vehicle with a larger engine capacity is a motorcycle, regardless of its appearance. If you are unsure of the classification of your vehicle, check with your dealer or local DMV office.

Additional Moped/Motor Scooter Operation Information

Laws to abide by:

  • It is illegal for mopeds to operate on sidewalks and/or in bike lanes.
  • Mopeds are subject to all traffic laws just like any other motor vehicle.
  • Drivers must possess a valid driver's license to operate a moped. You must obey traffic signals and stop signs, yield to pedestrians and slow down in school zones.
  • It is illegal in Wisconsin for a moped to carry a passenger. Moped operators can be ticketed by UWPD for operating with a passenger.

Where can I drive my moped?

  • On roads where the speed limit is 25 mph or less, two mopeds may operate side-by-side if both riders agree.
  • On roads where the speed limit is more than 25 mph, mopeds must ride single file.
  • On roads with two or more lanes in each direction, mopeds must operate in the right lane except when turning left.

Do I need to register my moped?

What are the Parking Fines for Moped Violations?

For more information, visit the following Wisconsin DOT websites:

Reference Information