Driving a car to and parking on campus can be a headache, not to mention expensive! With car sharing you can choose to leave your car at home without giving up access to a vehicle during the workday.
Zipcar is on the UW-Madison campus! Discounts on personal memberships for UW students, staff and faculty and UW Health employees are available. Join Today!
For vehicle locations, personal or individual membership information and to sign up visit the Zipcar website.
Zipcar is UW-Madison’s car-sharing partner. They provide cars for short term rental by the hour or day with gas and insurance included. UW-Departments can sign up for departmental Zipcar memberships and allow their (state-driver approved) employees to reserve and use Zipcars for work purposes and to have the charges directed to the department rather than the employee.
Note that departmental rental rates vary from rates for personal individual rentals and in general are slightly higher due to the cost of the damage waiver being included.
Here's how to get started:
- If you are interested in your department having a departmental Zipcar membership, approach decision makers in your department with the proposal. The department must designate a central contact person for the departmental account (the Departmental Zipcar Administrator), ideally someone with pro-card access and/or purchasing authority. Before requesting that a Departmental Zipcar Administrator be designated, please check the list below to see if one already exists for your department.
- Once a Departmental Zipcar Administrator has been designated, that person should fill out the application to request approval by Transportation Services as a Departmental Zipcar Administrator. Transportation Services will contact that person to assure that the Departmental Zipcar Administrator understands and agrees to follow the departmental Zipcar use and administration guidelines.
- If approved as Departmental Zipcar Administrator, Transportation Services will forward that person’s contact information to Zipcar.
- Zipcar will contact the Departmental Zipcar Administrator to set up the account and communicate additional information regarding the reservation process, driver approvals, acquiring membership cards, and payment.
- After account setup is completed, the Departmental Zipcar Administrator can approve drivers to apply for use of the Zipcars under the departmental account. Those employees then apply for Zipcar memberships under the departmental account via a special web link and will be mailed membership cards. Those drivers can then reserve and use the Zipcars for business purposes.
Please only fill out the Departmental Zipcar Membership Application if you have been approved by your department to be the Departmental Zipcar Administrator. If you have not been approved as such, contact leadership in your department regarding establishing a Zipcar departmental account and designating a Departmental Zipcar Administrator to fill out the application.