Any vehicle towed will go to our contracted tow vendor's lot. All towed vehicles will accumulate daily storage fees from the vendor. The storage fee is $35 a day. If the vehicle is picked up the same day as the tow, there is no storage fee.
Exception: during home Badger football games towed vehicles will be taken to lot 59.
Current tow vendor:
Schmidt's Auto Incorporated
1621 Beld Street
Madison, WI 53715
Phone: (608) 257-0505
- Vehicles are subject to towing and impoundment if the vehicle has $100 or more in unpaid citations (30 days or more past due). All citations and towing fees due to UW Transportation Services must be paid prior to the vehicle being released to the registered owner.
- Vehicles are subject to towing and impoundment if the vehicle is parked on campus with an altered, counterfeit or stolen permit. All citations and towing fees due to UW Transportation Services must be paid and the permit returned to the towing company prior to the vehicle being released to the registered owner.
- All past tickets and fees plus the current citation must be paid before the car will be released. Cash or credit cards can be used to pay fines. No checks accepted.
- Payment must be made at the WARF office of Transportation Services during business hours (7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). After business hours or on weekends, payments can be made by visiting Schmidt's Auto or calling 257-0505 for details.
- Vehicles that have been towed for Invalid/Missing License plate will be held until the owner can show proof of registration to the Transportation Services office.
The following is a list of occurrences that may result in the towing of a vehicle. Towable violations are not limited to these circumstances.
- Blocking fire lanes.
- Parking in loading zone (25 minute) more than 75 minutes and receiving three consecutive citations.
- Blocking vehicle or pedestrian traffic ways.
- Parking in no parking zones where hazards exist.
- Abandoned vehicles or unauthorized vehicles in a permit area.
- Altering or making a counterfeit UW parking permit.
- Parking in a reserved stall or disabled stall/access aisle.
- Parking that impedes progress of necessary maintenance projects (snow removal, paving, etc.)
- Parking illegally in a designated tow-zone (all of campus is tow zone).
- Parking illegally with outstanding parking citations ($100 or more and > 30 days old).
- Parking illegally with license or vehicle identification number covered, unreadable, or missing.
- Tows may be performed if your vehicle is leaking gas, oil, antifreeze, etc., or your vehicle is in the way of unforeseen danger, i.e., flood waters, etc.
- After 72 hours, Transportation Services will conduct a check on the registered owner of the vehicle to verify their well being.
- Vehicles determined to be abandoned are towed at owner's expense and locked in the impound at the contracted tow company's lot. Owners may have to show registration to release the car.
- Owner is responsible for storage fees.