SAFEwalk provides walking escorts throughout the entire campus except the far west side (UW Hospital and Eagle Heights). Students work in two-person escort teams throughout campus to:
- Respond to requests for walks.
- Watch for suspicious situations around campus.
- Answer transportation/safety-related questions
All SAFEwalkers undergo training with UW Police and are able to assist in a variety of situations. Each team carries a two-way radio and is able to act as a mobile emergency phone between UW Police and SAFEwalk dispatchers.
- Call 262-5000.
- Give your first name and UW ID number to the dispatcher. If you are a guest to the university you are eligible for a SAFEwalk, please just mention to the dispatcher that you are a guest without an UW ID.
- Depending upon your location and destination, the dispatcher will determine whether you are eligible for SAFEwalk services.
- Tell the dispatcher the phone number you are calling from and be available to answer calls.
- Dispatcher will send a SAFEwalk team to your location.
7 p.m. to 1 a.m. (October 1 - March 31)
8 p.m. to 1 a.m. (April 1 - September 30)
SAFEwalk Escort services are not available on holidays when Transportation Services is closed. These days include New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve. Please note that if a legal holiday falls on a Sunday, the state observes it on the following Monday.
SAFEwalk escorts make presentations about safe campus travel. If you are interested in scheduling a presentation, contact the SAFE coordinator at 262-9798.
- Review safe nighttime practices.
- If you are in a dangerous or emergency situation, call 9-1-1.
- Be respectful of the dispatcher and escort teams.
- Be informed - familiarize yourself with the basics of the SAFEwalk service and memorize 262-5000.
- Be smart and plan ahead. Know where you are going, and have your campus ID card.
- Be accessible. Stay by a phone. The SAFE dispatcher may need to call you if there is a problem or delay.