How parking works at UW
Check out the “related links” section above for your parking and transportation options. There is also a 2nd and 3rd shift Commuting and Parking Options brochure (PDF) for your reference.
How parking works
If you plan to drive to work, please keep in mind parking on campus is limited. You will need to purchase a permit to park on the UW-Madison and UW Hospital campuses.
The primary permit types are annual base lot (i.e. daily parking), Flex (pay-per-use parking), park and ride, carpool, and afternoon/night permits. Visit the permit types page for information on each permit.
- Applications are required for annual base lot, Flex, carpool, and park and ride parking permits.
- Parking permit offers are based on availability and are not guaranteed. Offers are made about every two weeks.
- Afternoon, night, motorcycle, and moped permits can be purchased directly online. (You need a NetID or UW Health log-on to make purchases.)
Need help figuring out your transportation options? Commuter Solutions is here to help! Fill out the custom route planning request form to receive transportation info customized to you.
- You need a NetID or UW Health username and password to submit a parking application or make any purchases. (More NetID info is on the DoIT NetID webpage. Need help with your UW Health log-on? Contact the UW Health Help Desk at 608-265-7777.)
- In order to be able to apply for parking, you need to be entered into the Permit Application System (PAS). Only your Unit Transportation Coordinator (UTC) can enter you into PAS. Therefore, you must contact UTC. Your UTC does not apply for your parking—you are responsible for applying once your UTC has confirmed your entry into PAS.
- UW and UW affiliate employees: Find your UTC
- UW Health employees: The Health Sciences Unit Transportation Coordinator (UTC) is available at (608) 263-7943 or email@example.com.
Reminder: Afternoon, night, and moped permits; bus passes; bicycle cage access and bicycle locker keys do not require UTC clearance, as they are available for purchase directly through a separate Transportation Services online purchasing portal (eBusiness).
- Take a look at the campus parking maps to see what lots are closest to your work location. Write down a list of four potential lots nearby—you are able to apply for up to four lots.
You can apply for annual parking once your UTC has entered your information. Apply by logging into PAS and completing the online parking application. Detailed directions on how to apply are on the permit types and information page.
Application Info Permit purchases
UW Health employees: The same information above applies to you. Visit the Health Sciences Parking website for more information tailored to your unit and a list of frequently asked questions.
If you are interested in an annual parking permit (base lot, Flex, park and ride), we suggest making a temporary commuting plan until your secure a parking permit. Parking permit offers are based on availability and are not guaranteed. Offers are made about every two weeks.
Temporary transportation options include:
- Visitor/temporary parking permits – check availability with Customer Service
- Visitor parking (hourly) in a campus garage/ramp
- Madison Metro (bus) – plan your route with Google Maps – be sure to adjust the departure/arrival time to match your commute schedule. Consider making the bus a part of your regular commute, too!
Permit offers are sent by email approximately every two weeks. Not every applicant receives an offer in a given assignment period. You will only be contacted if/when an offer can be made to you. You will remain on the waitlist until you receive an emailed offer.
Detailed application, purchasing, and pick-up information can be found on the permit types and permit information page.