Lose the hassle of driving while you save money on gas, vehicle wear and tear, and parking with the Wisconsin State Vanpool program!
Vanpools are groups of 8 to 15 commuters sharing their ride to work in a passenger van that is owned, insured and serviced by the Wisconsin State Vanpool Program. Passengers share the cost of operating the van by paying a fare based on fixed and variable costs, the number of riders, and the number of miles driven.
The fare covers all costs including gas, insurance and van maintenance. If you like to drive, you could commute for a reduced rate! Individual vanpools determine discounts (up to 10%) as compensation for drivers as stated in the DOA Vanpool Handbook (PDF).
The vanpool fare is usually much cheaper than driving your own vehicle—especially when you factor in the total cost of owning and operating a car. Most outlying areas offer vanpool options to campus.
State of Wisconsin Vanpool promotional flyer (PDF)
Additional incentives for UW Employees
- Participants of the state vanpool program automatically receive the campus base lot assignment requested and one alternate area assignment, if needed, for a backup driver.
- Vanpoolers are automatically eligible for the Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program.
- If you like to drive, you could commute at a reduced rate.
Effective January 1, 2021, Parking & Transit Accounts are available again for UW System employees. (Accounts were previously available to employees prior to June 1, 2018.) These accounts allow eligible employees to pay for certain parking and transit expenses with tax-free dollars. The funds in a transit account can be used to pay for vanpool commuting expenses. For enrollment details and more information, visit the UW System’s Parking & Transit accounts webpage.
- UW Carpool and Vanpool Handout (PDF)
- State of Wisconsin Vanpool Webpage
- State of Wisconsin Vanpool promotional flyer (PDF)
- State vanpool parking policy (PDF)
- Find a vanpool match through RoundTrip (formerly Rideshare Etc.)
- Commute with Enterprise – group commute option