Want to know how long it would take you to walk somewhere on campus? We’ve provided average trip times for common routes here:
- WARF Building to Memorial Union: 23 minutes
- Lot 60 to Camp Randall: 20 minutes
- 21 North Park Street to Memorial Union: 9 minutes
- Kohl Center to Memorial Union: 10 minutes
- Memorial Union to Camp Randall: 16 minutes
These are just a few examples to demonstrate the “walkability” of our campus. Check out Google Maps walking route planner for other walking time estimates. You can also try using GMap Pedometer, where you can track the exact distance of your commute, calories burned, and even elevation.
Be a safe pedestrian
As is the case with any mode of transportation, there are simple things you can do to be safe when commuting as a pedestrian.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look where you’re going, establish eye contact with motorists and bicyclists, and if you listen to music, limit the volume.
- Always obey all traffic signs.
- Carry a cell phone with you in case of an emergency.
- UWPD’s BadgerSAFE app turns your smartphone into a personal safety device. Anyone can download BadgerSAFE — students, staff, parents, and community members. You’ll receive crime alerts and safety info direct to your phone, you can connect with UWPD quickly via call or text, walk virtually with a trusted friend or family member, and get instant access to campus resources.