- Take a look at the UW Pedestrian handout (PDF).
- See our maps/routes on internal passageways (PDF) (Note: generally these are routes with no incline or stairs, but there may be heavy fire doors along these paths, so not all routes are completely ADA accessible). See the accessible transportation options page for additional resources.
Want to know how long it would take you to walk somewhere on campus? We’ve provided average trip times for common routes here:
- WARF Building to Memorial Union: 23 minutes
- Lot 60 to Camp Randall: 20 minutes
- 21 North Park Street to Memorial Union: 9 minutes
- Kohl Center to Memorial Union: 10 minutes
- Memorial Union to Camp Randall: 16 minutes
These are just a few examples to demonstrate the “walkability” of our campus. Check out Google Maps walking route planner for other walking time estimates. You can also try using GMap Pedometer, where you can track the exact distance of your commute, calories burned, and even elevation.
Be a safe pedestrian
As is the case with any mode of transportation, there are simple things you can do to be safe when commuting as a pedestrian.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look where you’re going, establish eye contact with motorists and bicyclists, and if you listen to music, limit the volume.
- Always obey all traffic signs.
- Carry a cell phone with you in case of an emergency.
When traveling at night:
During severe weather:
- Make sure you’re wearing appropriate attire and footwear for conditions.
- Always travel with a friend or in a group.
- Pay attention to weather alerts, like Snow Action Day Alerts.