Starting Monday, April 8, parts of W. Dayton Street between Charter Street and Park Street will close for a steam tunnel project. Additional utility work includes sewer, water, and gas lines with total asphalt, curb, gutter, and sidewalk replacement. There will be three stages of work:
- Stage 1: April – July 2019
- Stage 2: July – August 2019
- Stage 3: August – November 2019
Updates will be provided as the project progresses and other stage start times near. Note: Project dates are subject to change due to weather conditions and other factors.
Click on map above to enlarge or the following: Dayton Street construction – Stage 1 map
Vehicle traffic impacts
Dayton Street between Charter and Mills Streets and Mills to Brooks Streets will be closed to traffic. Local traffic only on Dayton Street to Lot 44 to/from Park and Brooks Streets.
- Access to Lot 44 will be maintained at all times during this project. Stage 1: As of April 17 , access allowed via Brooks Streets only.
- Access to Lot 56 and moped lot 661 will be maintained at all times during this project. The city has approved a future closure of the southbound lane of traffic on N. Charter Street. Closure date TBD.
- Vehicle traffic formerly using W. Dayton Street should detour via Regent, Park or Johnson Streets or University Avenue. Bikes can use any of the aforementioned detour roads or the Southwest Commuter Path.
- The northbound lane on Mills Street at the intersection of Dayton Street will close in May; use Charter Street or Park Street. Expected to reopen early June.
- Route 80 will detour off Dayton Street via Charter Street to Johnson Street. The regular route resumes at Lake Street north of Johnson. Four stops (#0061, #0077, #0078, and #0039) will be closed for the duration of this project. Board using stops at Johnson & N. Mills (#0741) or N. Lake & University (#0765). Route 80 detour information on Metro Transit website
Pedestrian traffic impacts
- The southern sidewalk of Dayton Street will remain open for westbound/eastbound pedestrian traffic throughout this project, but the northern sidewalk will close.
- Select northbound/southbound crosswalks over Dayton Street will be impacted: the east side crosswalk at Mills and Dayton and the west side crosswalk at Park and Dayton. Detour to the open crosswalks across the respective streets.
Periodic lane closures on W. Dayton Street to the east of N. Park Street will be allowed following the spring semester. Dates and details will be provided later this month.