UW Madison Fleet – 27 N. Charter Street
Vehicles reservations begin at 6 a.m. on the day requested and end at 5:59 a.m. the day following your indicated return date. For example: you make a reservation for Monday through Wednesday. The keys are available for pick-up as early as 6 a.m. on Monday and the vehicle is not technically due back until 5:59 a.m. on Thursday, regardless of your originally indicated pick-up and return times.
Please note: Parking for travelers’ personal cars at UW Madison Fleet is by reservation only and restricted to specific stalls in Lot 50 (look for the yellow posts). Vehicles parked with no permit or an expired permit may be ticketed and towed.
- Groups with multiple vehicles to the same destination and/or organized by one central entity/person/club/organization will be permitted one stall per trip for the entire group, not one stall for each fleet vehicle rented. Similarly, multiple travelers in one fleet vehicle may only reserve a single stall.
- Each stall requires a no-fee reservation. A special reservation number is generated for each parking stall. A traveler with a fleet car reservation and a parking stall reservation will have two reservation numbers (one for vehicle, one for parking reservation). A waitlist will be available for parking stall reservations; stalls on the waitlist are not guaranteed. Reservations for parking are obtained the same way reservations for vehicles are made. Look for the “U Park” selection in the “Vehicle Type” drop-down menu.
- Traveler personal vehicle parking is limited to six nights or less.
Vehicle pick-up is available 24 hours per day through two methods:
- For regular, non-holiday weekday pick-up between 6 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., visit the fleet staff at Room 110, 27 N. Charter Street. When you pick up a vehicle in person, you will be required to show your valid driver’s license. If a person other than you will pick up the vehicle, they must be listed as a Risk Management Approved Driver. (Now part of the Wisconsin Fleet Management System site.) The driver must be prepared to show their valid driver’s license.
- After-hours, holidays, Saturday/Sunday pick-up is also at Room 110, 27 N. Charter Street, but you must use your vehicle reservation number to access keys via a dispensing machine. If you made a reservation to park a personal vehicle, a parking pass will be with the keys you pick up in the dispensing machine. The parking reservation number is not used in any part of the vehicle pick-up or return process. Park in the stalls to the east of the Fleet garage; look for the yellow signposts. If no parking reservation was made, there will be no parking pass.
When picking up after-hours, fill out the log book identifying the person who picked up the car. The person whose name is listed on the reservation is responsible to make sure whomever picks up the car and/or drives the car is an approved driver.
Reference the After-hours Fleet Vehicle Pick-up and Return guide (PDF) for a step-by-step guide on after-hours pick-up procedures.
Each vehicle is issued a fuel card. The fuel card is for fueling the indicated vehicle only (fleet number is embossed in the lower left corner). See full fueling information on the fleet vehicle fueling page. Contact the fleet staff to inquire about fuel cards for non-vehicle fuel needs, lost/stolen cards and damaged cards.
Look for the area with lanes near the fuel pumps. Pull the fleet car in any open lane or stall as far forward as possible to allow for more returns. Lock the car and leave the keys in the drop box on the Fleet and Service Garage building. Do not back in when returning a fleet vehicle.
In the event of an emergency in which a vehicle cannot be returned as scheduled, the driver must contact the fleet office immediately.
Late fees (starting at 6 a.m. the day following the due date) are a day at the vehicle reservation cost, plus $4 an hour, up to a maximum hourly fee of $20 a day. Charges stop the day the vehicle is returned, regardless of previously indicated return date.
Vehicles are expected to be returned in reasonable condition; users must properly dispose of trash and take precautions not to damage or stain the upholstery. Vehicles containing excessive trash or interior damage/stains may result in an appropriate additional cleaning fee based on fleet cost.