Read on for updates on some construction projects affecting campus traffic patterns. Reminder: project dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors.
West campus projects
Linden Drive parking structure and utilities projects
Work continues on the Linden Drive parking structure project and accompanying utilities projects. Several area sidewalks and paths are unavailable while work takes place:
- The southern sidewalk of Observatory Drive is closed from approximately Easterday Lane to the new Meat Science building. Detour available via the northern sidewalk.
- The eastbound Observatory & Natatorium bus stop (#2267) remains open (note: temporarily closed Nov. 11-22), but can only be accessed via the north-south pedestrian path connecting the Natatorium to Veterinary Medicine.
- The northern sidewalk of Linden Drive by the Linden Drive parking garage construction site is closed. Detour available via the southern Linden Drive sidewalk.
- The bicycle-pedestrian path behind the Veterinary Medicine campus (exiting onto Farm Place) is closed until March 2020. Detour available using the path to the west of the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, which exits on to Easterday Lane.
The current Easterday Lane intersection at Observatory Drive closure continues through October 30. Traffic is unable to turn southbound onto Easterday Lane or onto Observatory Drive from Easterday Lane. Eastbound traffic on Observatory Drive can use Elm Drive to reach the west Linden Drive area. Vehicles can enter/exit area lots (Lot 4, 62, 123, 124, 125, 672) by using Linden Drive to continue to the respective lot entry/exit lanes. Lot 62 and 672 are only accessible via Easterday Lane, so permit holders must use Linden Drive to reach the open portion of Easterday Lane.
Section of Linden Drive closed – October 31 – November 8, 2019
Part of Linden Drive between Farm Place and north/south pedestrian path between Vet Med and the Natatorium will close. Access to Lot 62 and moped Lot 672 will be available from Easterday Lane. Vehicles can enter/exit Lot 4, 124, 125 by using Easterday Lane to Linden Drive, then to continue to the respective lot entry/exit lanes. Lot 123 can be accessed by continuing behind Vet Med from Easterday, or by accessing Linden Drive from Elm Drive or Babcock Drive.
Click the above image to enlarge or view the Linden Drive Project – Linden closure map (PDF).
Section of Observatory Drive closed – November 11-22, 2019
A section of Observatory Drive will be closed, with east-west traffic detouring to Linden Drive by using Easterday Lane or Elm Drive.
This will include Madison Metro Transit bus routes, including campus bus routes (80, 84). Buses will not serve stops on Observatory Drive from Babcock Drive to Easterday Lane. The bus stops on Observatory Drive near the Natatorium (eastbound – #2267; westbound – #2442), the near east fields (eastbound – #2195; westbound – #2978), and at Observatory Drive & Babcock Drive (eastbound – #2195) ; westbound – #2996) will be closed for this work period.
Buses will pick up about one block south of their usual stops–temporary bus stops will be available on Linden Drive near the Veterinary Medicine building, the Livestock Laboratory, and Babcock Hall. More information available on the Metro Transit detour page.
- Access to Lot 62 and moped Lot 672 will be available from Easterday Lane.
- Vehicles can access Lot 4, 123, 124, and 125 by using Easterday Lane (eastbound traffic) or Elm Drive (westbound traffic) to reach Linden Drive and the respective lot entry/exit lanes.
- Lot 57 and 58 traffic can only reach the lots by heading westbound on Observatory Drive–eastbound traffic has to detour to Easterday Lane, Linden Drive, Elm Drive, then Observatory Drive to reach Willow Drive.
Click the above image to enlarge or view the Linden Drive Project – Observatory closure map (PDF).
Reminder: The Willow Creek pedestrian-bicycle bridge is closed until further notice due to structural integrity concerns.
Central campus projects
Bascom-Lathrop utility project
South campus projects
Chemistry building addition project
No updates. One lane of northbound Charter Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street remains closed. Occasional full day closures of Mills Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street may occur as needed; area is currently open to southbound traffic only. Detour via Brooks, Charter, or Park Street.
Dayton Street utility project
No updates. Dayton Street remains closed to east and westbound traffic from Charter Street to Park Street. The Route 80 campus bus is on detour. The northern Dayton Street sidewalk is closed, with a detour available on the southern sidewalk. Project currently on track for completion in November 2019. See the campus construction map (Inset 1) for a more detailed description of available paths.