This page will be updated with project changes and new work as information becomes available. Reminder: project dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Learn about current parking and transportation operations in our Smart Restart Hub page.
Updated October 21, 2020
Central campus projects
Bascom-Lathrop utility project
- Lot 9 closed as of May 11, 2020, to remain closed until January 2021.
- Park Street southbound closed between Langdon Street and Lathrop Drive approximately June 6 until early November 2020. Detour to Lake Street or Charter Street.
- No thru-traffic on Lathrop Drive. Lot 5 “primary” section traffic must enter/exit onto Park Street. Lot 115 and western Lot 5 sections (primarily UW Disabled permit stall) traffic must enter/exit onto Charter Street.
South campus projects
Chemistry building addition project
No updates. Crane was successfully removed from site the weekend of October 17; lanes of University Avenue have resumed the “usual” shifted pattern.
Mills Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street is closed to two-way traffic until late 2020; detour via Brooks, Charter, or Park Street. One lane of northbound Charter Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street remains closed. Lanes on University Avenue remain shifted.
21 N. Park Street COVID-19 curbside testing
Curbside testing will be available at the 21 N. Park Street COVID-19 testing site starting Friday, Oct. 23. This will affect traffic flow into the west Lot 29 entrance (off Park Street) and the traffic circle between 21 N. Park Street and Smith Hall. Curbside testing will impact the circle drive 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The following traffic patterns will be in place when the site is open:
- The circle’s south access point will be EXIT ONLY.
- The circle’s north access point will be an entrance and exit. This is the only entrance point you can use to reach Lot 29 from Park Street.
Both the west (Park Street) and east (East Campus Mall) entrance/exit point for Lot 29 will remain open.
View testing locations and schedules on the University Health Services (UHS) COVID-19 testing webpage.
West campus projects
Linden Drive parking structure + Gym-Nat replacement projects
Observatory Drive between Easterday Lane and Willow Drive is closed October 7 until early November (approximately November 6) [updated 10/16] . This project was extended due to weather conditions and other complicating factors.
- Vehicle traffic will detour onto Linden Drive between Easterday Lane and Elm Drive.
- Metro bus routes (11, 44, 80, 84, westbound 82) and park and ride shuttle stops along Observatory Drive between Easterday Lane and Babcock Drive have been relocated to Linden Drive.
*IMPORTANT* On Wednesday, Oct. 21 Linden Drive in front of Babcock Hall will be closed for repaving. This one day project will restrict thru-traffic on west campus to use an Easterday Lane, Linden Drive, Elm Drive, and Observatory Drive route. Metro bus routes (11, 44, 80, 84, westbound 82) and park and ride shuttle stops will use an altered route for this day only, then return to the regular detour for the Observatory Drive closure.
Access to the Lot 40 section behind the Stock Pavilion will be available for permit holders and business purposes, but vehicles must approach from Elm Drive.
The replacement project for the Gymnasium-Natatorium started late summer 2020. Lot 57 is closed and will remain closed until the completion of the new Gym-Nat, expected in early 2023.
Several area sidewalks and paths are unavailable while these projects takes place:
- The southern sidewalk of Observatory Drive is partially closed; closed area extends from eastern edge of Lot 62 until the western edge of the new Meat Science building. Detour available via the northern sidewalk.
- The northern and southern sidewalk of Linden Drive by the Linden Drive parking garage construction site is closed. Detour available via the Observatory Drive sidewalks.
Reminder: The Willow Creek pedestrian-bicycle bridge is closed until further notice due to structural integrity concerns.
- Metro transit detours
- Campus road closures and detour map (PDF)
- Campus construction/detour news posts
Visit smartrestart.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date campus COVID-19 response information and resources. Transportation Services updates on parking and transportation operations can be found in our Smart Restart Hub.