Several short- and long-term construction projects continue to impact campus travel for pedestrians, bicycles, buses, and vehicles. Multiple roadway closures that started in May will continue throughout the summer. Additional closures starting in June will cause more detours and delays across campus.
Charter Street update
The southbound lane of Charter Street between Linden Drive and University Avenue has reopened to outbound traffic. The northbound lane remains closed to inbound traffic and is expected to fully reopen late June.
Beginning June 6, Charter Street will close between Johnson Street and Dayton Street. The closure is expected to last three weeks. Vehicles traveling southbound may detour via Brooks Street to access Dayton Street. Vehicles traveling northbound may detour via Brooks Street or Randall Avenue.
Closures beginning June 6
Linden Drive closure
The westbound lane of Linden Drive is closing between Babcock Drive and Henry Mall. The closure is expected to last through the end of August.
- Vehicles traveling westbound through campus may detour via Observatory Drive to the north of Linden Drive, or via University Avenue to the south.
- Madison Metro transit routes 4, 11, 38, 44, and 80 have been running detours since May in anticipation of this and other closures. For detour information, see the Metro Transit website.
Observatory Drive closure near Bascom Hall
The eastbound lane of Observatory Drive is closing between Charter Street and Lot 10. The westbound lane of Observatory Drive will remain open. The closure is expected to last through September.
- Vehicles traveling eastbound should detour via Charter Street and Johnson Street.
- Lots 9, 10, and 11 will remain accessible to vehicles coming from Park Street.
Observatory Drive closure, June 11-13
From June 11-13, Observatory Drive will close in both directions between Colwood Drive and Willow Creek. This three-day closure will effectively prevent thru traffic between the east and west sides of campus.
To travel eastbound across campus, vehicles must detour via University Avenue/Campus Drive and Johnson Street. To travel westbound across campus, vehicles must detour via University Avenue/Campus Drive. Interior areas on the east and west sides campus may be accessed via the recommended routes listed beneath the following image. Metro Transit routes will also detour. For detour information, see the Metro Transit website.
To access interior areas of campus west of Willow Creek:
- Highland Avenue is open to both in- and outbound traffic.
- Walnut Street is open to inbound traffic. (The southbound lane of Walnut Street is currently closed to outbound traffic.)
- University Bay Drive is open to in- and outbound traffic. Please note lanes along University Avenue and University Bay Drive are reduced due to a City of Madison construction project. Vehicles traveling along this route may experience delays.
To access interior areas of campus east of Willow Creek:
- Park Street is open to both in- and outbound traffic.
- Babcock Drive is open to inbound traffic.
- Charter Street is open to outbound traffic. (The northbound lane of Charter Street is currently closed to inbound traffic.)
To access the School of Veterinary Medicine:
- Vehicles traveling west should use Observatory Drive; Lot 67 will be accessible.
- Please note the Diagnostic Lab and Lot 4 will not be accessible to vehicles traveling west on Observatory Drive. Those needing access to the Diagnostic Lab and Lot 4 should detour via University Avenue and Walnut Street to access these areas.
For more information on ongoing roadway closures and detours, please see the campus lot and street impacts/closures map or visit the campus construction impacts webpage.