Read on for updates on some construction projects affecting campus traffic patterns. Reminder: project dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors.
West campus projects
Linden Drive parking structure and utilities projects
Work continues on the Linden Drive parking structure project and accompanying utilities projects. Several area sidewalks and paths are unavailable while work takes place:
- The southern sidewalk of Observatory Drive is closed from approximately Easterday Lane to the new Meat Science building. Detour available via the northern sidewalk.
- The northern sidewalk of Linden Drive by the Linden Drive parking garage construction site is closed. Detour available via the southern Linden Drive sidewalk.
- The bicycle-pedestrian path behind the Veterinary Medicine campus (exiting onto Farm Place) is closed until March 2020. Detour available using the path to the west of the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, which exits on to Easterday Lane.
Due to weather delays, the timeline for the current closure of a section of Observatory Drive has been expanded. Work is now anticipated to last until Monday, Dec. 9.
East-west traffic detours onto Linden Drive by using Easterday Lane or Elm Drive.
Buses will not serve stops on Observatory Drive from Babcock Drive to Easterday Lane. The bus stops on Observatory Drive near the Natatorium (eastbound – #2267; westbound – #2442), the near east fields (eastbound – #2195; westbound – #2978), and at Observatory Drive & Babcock Drive (eastbound – #2195) ; westbound – #2996) will be closed for this work period.
Buses pick up about one block south of their usual stops–temporary bus stops available on Linden Drive near the Veterinary Medicine building, the Livestock Laboratory, and the Babcock/Linden intersection. More information available on the Metro Transit detour page.
- Access to Lot 62 and moped Lot 672 available from Easterday Lane.
- Lot 4, 123, 124, and 125 traffic can use Easterday Lane (eastbound traffic) or Elm Drive (westbound traffic) to reach Linden Drive and the respective lot entry/exit lanes.
- Lot 57 and 58 traffic can only reach the lots by heading westbound on Observatory Drive–eastbound traffic has to detour to Easterday Lane, Linden Drive, Elm Drive, then Observatory Drive to reach Willow Drive.
Click the above image to enlarge or view the Linden Drive Project – Observatory closure map (PDF).
Reminder: The Willow Creek pedestrian-bicycle bridge is closed until further notice due to structural integrity concerns.
Central campus projects
Bascom-Lathrop utility project
South campus projects
Chemistry building addition project
Mills Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street is closed to two-way traffic until mid-to-late 2020. Earlier during construction this section of road did allow limited southbound traffic, but it will now be unavailable in both directions. Detour via Brooks, Charter, or Park Street.
No other changes. One lane of northbound Charter Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street remains closed. Lanes on University Avenue remain shifted.
Dayton Street utility project
Some weather delays have pushed the expected completion date into early December 2019.
No other changes. Dayton Street remains closed to east and westbound traffic from Charter Street to Park Street; Route 80 campus bus is on detour. The northern Dayton Street sidewalk is closed, with a detour available on the southern sidewalk. See the campus construction map (Inset 1) for a more detailed description of available paths.