Essential construction projects continue on campus–read on for updates on some construction projects affecting campus traffic patterns. This page will be updated with project changes and new work as information becomes available.
Reminder: project dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Important note: most campus parking lots are open through August 31, 2020. Learn more about current and future parking and transportation plans as campus begins a gradual reopening on our Smart Restart Hub page.
Updated August 12, 2020
Central campus projects
Henry Mall southbound closure
Henry Mall southbound is closed until December 2020 while a pop-up COVID-19 testing site is in place. The northbound lane is subject to closure if needed for testing site purposes.
Lot 20 (University Drive Ramp) structural repairs
Entry and exit from Lot 20 will be directed through one lane of traffic August 17-21 while structural repair work happens in the lot. One lane will be closed at a time, with the other remaining open for in and out travel. Workers with flags will be on site to direct traffic.
Bascom-Lathrop utility project
- The eastbound lane of Observatory Drive between Bascom Hall and North Hall reopened June 4. All of Observatory Drive is open between Park and Charter Streets.
- Lot 9 closed as of May 11, 2020, to remain closed until January 2021.
- Park Street southbound closed between Langdon Street and Lathrop Drive approximately June 6 until October 2020.
- Lathrop Drive remains bisected. Lot 5 traffic must enter/exit onto Park Street and Lot 115 traffic must enter/exit onto Charter Street. Some stalls in Lot 5 are closed for construction staging; accessible parking stalls relocated to the circle drive near Chadbourne Hall.
For project updates, see the Bascom-Lathrop project page. See the campus construction map for a more detailed description of available paths.
Some stalls in Lot 11 blocked while part of the Bascom Hall roof undergoes repairs.
South campus projects
Chemistry building addition project
Mills Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street is closed to two-way traffic until late 2020; detour via Brooks, Charter, or Park Street. One lane of northbound Charter Street between University Avenue and Johnson Street remains closed. Lanes on University Avenue remain shifted.
UW Field House repair
Lot 19 is closed for the duration of work on the UW Field House. Anticipated reopening end of summer 2020.
West campus projects
Campus road repaving and line painting
Roads across west campus (road west of and including Charter Street) will have asphalt repaired and line marking repainted throughout summer 2020. Traffic will be maintained on these roads, with workers with flags providing direction as needed.
Lot 75 (UW Hospital Ramp) elevator repair
An elevator in Lot 75 has been out since late 2020 due to mechanical failure. Work on replacement has been ongoing and will start a new phase on August 17. The new phase will require the closure of the permit-only exit lanes on the lower level of the ramp, which exit onto Observatory Drive. The closure will last approximately three weeks.
The three first floor exit lanes onto Highland Avenue will remain open.
Linden Drive parking structure + Gym-Nat replacement projects
Linen Drive parking structure
A section of Linden Drive between the Dairy Barn and Veterinary Medicine is closed May 26 until mid-to-late September.
Vehicles can enter and exit Lot 4, 62, 123, 124, and 125 from Easterday Lane. A temporary driveway will also be available to Lot 123/the Veterinary Medicine loading dock from Farm Place. Lot 39 and 12 can be accessed from Linden Drive by way of Elm Drive.
Several area sidewalks and paths are unavailable while work takes place:
- The southern sidewalk of Observatory Drive is partially closed; closed area extends from eastern edge of Lot 62 until the western edge of the new Meat Science building. Detour available via the northern sidewalk.
- The northern and southern sidewalk of Linden Drive by the Linden Drive parking garage construction site is closed. Detour available via the Observatory Drive sidewalks.
The replacement project for the Gymnasium-Natatorium begins in Fall 2020. Preparation work for demolition will close Lot 57 as of the evening of August 14. Lot 57 will remain closed until the completion of the new Gym-Nat, expected in late 2022/early 2023.
Reminder: The Willow Creek pedestrian-bicycle bridge is closed until further notice due to structural integrity concerns.
- Metro transit detours
- Campus road closures and detour map (PDF)
- Campus construction/detour news posts
Visit smartrestart.wisc.edu and covid19.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date campus gradual reopening and response information and resources. Transportation Services specific updates can be found in our Smart Restart Hub.