Construction related to the Bascom-Lathrop utility project will impact motor vehicle, public transit, bicycle, and pedestrian routes on and around Charter Street and Lathrop Drive.
Lathrop Drive (Dec. 20 – Summer 2022)
**1/19/22 update: Work areas on Lathrop Drive continue to affect pedestrian routes from Botany Gardens to Birge Hall and the Law Building. Pedestrian detours are in effect. Please stay on marked detour paths.**
A section of Lathrop Drive south of Birge Hall will close Monday, December 20. The closure is expected to last until summer 2022. See the map at the bottom of this post for current closure and detour conditions.
- The closed section of Lathrop Drive will prevent motor vehicle and bicycles thru traffic between N. Park Street and N. Charter Street. Thru traffic may detour via University Avenue or Observatory Drive.
- The north-south pedestrian walkway between Lathrop Drive and the stairs to Van Vleck Hall will be closed. Pedestrians may access Van Vleck Hall and Sterling Hall via walkways north or west of the buildings. Please stay on marked detour paths.
- Work areas on Lathrop Drive affect pedestrian routes from Botany Gardens to Birge Hall and the Law Building. Pedestrian detours are in effect. Please stay on marked detour paths.
Charter Street between University and Lathrop (Dec. 23 – Jan. 25)
**1/20/2022 update: Weather permitting, Charter Street is back on schedule to fully reopen and Madison Metro Transit service will resume by the morning of Tuesday, January 25. The western sidewalk of Charter opens Friday, January 21. Traffic lanes are expected to reopen by end-of-day, Monday, January 24. Madison Metro Transit routes 11, 38, 44, and 80 will resume regular service the morning of Tuesday, January 25.**
**1/14/2022 update: Charter Street is now expected to partially reopen Monday, January 31, and fully reopen February 4. Some pedestrian routes in the area are expected to reopen Tuesday, January 25.**
**12/17/21 update: The start of this project has moved from Friday, December 24 to Thursday, December 23.**
Both lanes of Charter Street between University Avenue and Lathrop Drive will close Thursday, December 23. Impacted pedestrian routes in the area are expected to reopen Friday, January 21. This closed section of Charter Street is expected to fully reopen end-of-day, Monday, January 24, with Madison Metro Transit resuming regular service for impacted service routes Tuesday, January 25.
- Motor vehicles and cyclists may detour via N. Park Street, Babcock Drive, or Walnut Street.
- Madison Metro Transit routes 11, 38, 44, and 80, will detour starting December 23. Detour information related to this project is posted on the Madison Metro Transit website. (Reminder: campus bus routes do not run on legal holidays and are on recess service December 26 until January 22, meaning only Route 80 and 84 operate.)
- The north crosswalk across University Avenue and the east sidewalk along Charter Street are closed. Pedestrians may detour along the south and west crosswalks at the Charter-University intersection. Pedestrians should follow signage to safely navigate around other areas affected by construction.
University Avenue lane closures (until March 2022)
As a reminder, ongoing construction along University Avenue in front of Chamberlin Hall is expected to last until March 2022. See the map at the bottom of this post for current closure and detour conditions.
- The two northern traffic lanes, the westbound bike lane, and northern sidewalk of University Avenue between N. Mills Street and N. Charter Street are closed.
- Detour signage has been placed around the work site to direct pedestrians and cyclists. A temporary protected walkway is available for pedestrians.
- Motorists may choose an alternate route to avoid congestion on University Avenue.
Note: project dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors.